Egypt, along with the
whole world, needs creative innovators and ambitious
entrepreneurs who can create solutions to today's
challenges. Hence, Egypt's Sustainable Development
Strategy: 2030 Vision- Knowledge, Innovation &
Scientific Research Pillar aims to establish a
creative and innovative society that produces
science, technology and knowledge in support of the
power, growth and welfare of the nation. The
anticipated community shall mainly be made up of
creative minds capable of innovation and inspiration
who value innovation and entrepreneurship and are
able to identify opportunities.
That is also in line with the strong emphasis of
the Ministry of Communications and Information
Technology (MCIT) on establishing an integrated
environment encouraging the entrepreneurship system
through the establishment of new technological areas
in different governorates and through many programs
and services for university students and youth in
general throughout Egypt.
Hence, The Technology Innovation and
Entrepreneurship Center (TIEC) of Information
Technology Industry Development Agency (ITIDA); one
of Ministry of Communications and Information
Technology (MCIT) affiliates has announced the
launch of the Ideation Marathon.
The aim of the Ideation Marathon is mainly to
motivate young people to innovate and to enable them
to acquire the knowledge and tools needed to foster
the development of innovative skills and original
ideas using technology in order to provide solutions
to society pressing challenges using the principles
and methodologies of creative thinking.
This Ideation Marathon also helps grow innovative
ideas into startups as a basis for creating a
generation of entrepreneurs and change makers. This
is achieved through interactive workshops in a
competitive and inspiring environment for young
people and through collective action to develop
What is Ideation
Ideation Marathon is
the first of its kind in Egypt, where a group of
creative thinking camps are held in different
regions throughout Egypt to train young people on
how to generate ideas and create innovative
solutions to real societal challenges in Egypt and
the world. This is achieved through the following:
- Interactive workshops where you learn how to
think creatively by using the principles and
methodologies of creative thinking in the
development of innovative solutions to
challenges through collective action. These
workshops also provide young people with an
opportunity to learn about project development
skills, how to start companies and how to build
strong networks of innovators.
- Boot Camp for distinguished teams
shortlisted from all workshops with a group of
mentors to help accelerate the development of
projects. Another round of shortlisting will
follow in each of the three regions (New Assiut
- Borg El Arab - Smart Village).
- Final selection of winners for awarding.
The Marathon concept addresses one of the challenges of Egypt 2030 Vision for Sustainable Development and works to develop ICT-based solutions where participants are racing to develop innovative solutions based on the latest IT applications and tools within the stated challenge.
In this marathon, competition for solutions to the challenges of the culture pillar through the applications of modern technology (such as enhanced reality technology, image processing, data, IoT and digital geographic maps) is shared to contribute to the achievement of strategic objectives in this area:
- Supporting cultural industries as a source of strength for the economy.
- Raise the efficiency of cultural institutions and workers in the cultural system.
- Protect and promote heritage.
Among the most important challenges facing Egypt in the culture pillar:
For more Info : Culture Pillar
- Lack of digital information about heritage. This challenge underlines shortcoming in coping with international technological developments, which affects the ability of Egyptian heritage to attract tourists.
- Encroachment on archaeological sites and threats to sites from groundwater.
Cultural sites face many threats from infringements on the physical site and from geological risks that may lead to the loss of this cultural wealth.
- Protection of intangible heritage, including Egypt’s important cultural treasures, Trough digitization archiving and tracking.
- Disparity in the availability of cultural services among governorates.
Ideation Marathon will
be held in three regions according to the below
1. Cairo (Smart Village)
2. New Assiut (Technology Zone)
3. Alexandria - Borg El Arab (Technology Zone)
1. Each camp is held for three days (Thursday -
Friday - Saturday) from 9 am to 6 pm.
2. Transportation to and from the training venues
are provided in addition to meals and drinks.
Who can participate ?
• Public and private
university students from disciplines related to
information technology and business management
• University graduates from disciplines and
professions related to information technology and
business management. Age limit is up to 40 years.
Participation is open
to all governorates. The training and competition
events are held in the following places:
• Cairo (Smart Village)
• New Assiut (Technology Zone)
• Alexandria - Borg El Arab (Technology Zone)
distinguished teams as follows:
1. Cash prizes for the top winners of each
5 thousand pounds for each of the top three teams
in each region.
2. Cash prizes for the top winners at the
• First place: 30,000 EGP
• Second place 20,000 EGP
• Third place 10,000 EGP
Criteria for selecting winners
• The degree of innovativeness and novelty.
• Market Potential.
• Impact at the local/ national/ global level.
• Team Performance.
Join us now at Ideation Marathon. Discover, learn,
connect and compete with other young innovators from
all over Egypt.